Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I've heard the word relationship so many times this week, it almost feels as though I'm reading Woman's Day. What's the deal? Is it the sweet smell of Spring in the air? Peter and Jordan's wedding? Tom and Katie's baby?

Everywhere I turn people are either in a relationship, looking for one, insisting somebody else should find one, or lamenting on how much better their life would be with one. Could it be that I'm miserable because of a complex myriad of conflicting beliefs, insecurities and doubts about my existence? No, no... A girlfriend, that's what I need!

I've always been a firm believer that you can't exist happily in a relationship until you can be happy on your own, but the zeitgeist these days seems to propose that if you find a boyfriend or a girlfriend, everything else will follow. I'm not suggesting that having a partner isn't an enriching experience, but it certainly isn't the answer to all your problems. Perhaps the Hugh Grant variety of cinema is seeping a little too deeply into the social consciousness, but our purpose in life isn't to achieve 'taken' status, and the soundtrack isn't Ronan Keating.

The only thing more irritating than this mentality is the people who impose it on others; as if it's some kind of indictment on your existence if you've been single for a while. Even if you're completely happy by yourself, society has a way of convincing you otherwise. After a few months of "What you need is a girlfriend! Why don't you have one?", you start to think "Hey yeah! Why don't I have a girlfriend? What's wrong with me? Should I be trying harder? Is there an odour that I'm not aware of?" The possibility that you might actually be content with being single just isn't an option. The only exception to this is if you're living the single life, and hitting Twister each weekend. That's fine. Especially if you're a guy.

The problem is, love is everywhere. . And not in that Wet Wet Wet kind of way. 95% of films deal with love either in full or in part, and the entire pop music industry is supported by the concept. Essentially, from the day we are born and see our parents together, we are programmed to believe that finding a partner is our raison d'etre. As a result of this, people pursue relationships for entirely the wrong reasons; circumstance, sexual attraction, convenience, image, even taste in music. Some people just like the idea of being with someone, regardless of who that person might be.

A certain friend of mine, let's call her Dr. X, has never been single for longer than a month. I suspect most people know someone like this, who seems to be perpetually frightened by the prospect of being on their own. If they're not with someone, they're pursuing someone, or contemplating whom to pursue. The break ups are periodic, painful, and the result is always the same. This pattern of behaviour has been going on for as long as I've known her, which is of no surprise to me at all. When you devote all your energy to other people, it's impossible to grow as a person. After being dictated by the same mentality for such a long time, it becomes a prophecy unto itself, and is no longer a conscious decision.

From my experience, you never find a relationship of any substance when you're actively looking for it. Of the two or three times I've gone out with the intention to 'pick up', and succeeded, I have:

- Gone from infatuation to extreme prejudice within the period of two weeks.
- Realized that you can't sustain a relationship on dancing to R'n B music.
- Resolved never to talk to girls with the name Crystal again. Ever.

I think if you're 'on the hunt' for a partner, you're inevitably going to be let down. You'll either perceive qualities in them that don't exist, or be continually disappointed because of your expectations. It's when you achieve happiness and stability by yourself that someone tends to come along, usually before you even realize it's happened.

By this point in time you're probably shaking your monitor violently, yelling "For fuck's sake Millwood! Are you actually going to make a point here?" You've got some nerve, buddy. But the answer is no, no I'm not. I am, however tired of people being bludgeoned into situations they don't want to be in, and feeling guilty about things they shouldn't have to, purely because society instils beliefs in us that are completely bogus. And we lap it up. It's no wonder the divorce rate in Western civilization is around 40%.

Why are you still single?

18 Comments:

Blogger ekstasis said...

I just broke up with someone on a 70% basis of what you were just talking about - I've never EVER been alone (not that I'm a serial monogomist, but I moved from my Mum's house, to my Dad's house, to my Boyfriends house) and I feel like it's time to actually 'grow up' so to speak, and start learning how to take care of myself. It's such a cliche, but I need to find out who I really am... (I gotta say, this weekend has been SO MUCH FUN, that I'm kinda liking who I'm turning out to be...)
I'm extremely happy to stay single at the moment. I'm not bemoaning the fact that I'm by myself (mind you, I'm not technically by myself yet). I am very scared, but that's not to say I'm not happy that it's happening.
If anyone gives me the line "when are you going to find yourself a good boyfriend?" I think I'll kick them in the shins and then shave their face off...
But none of the people who really know me would ever say that - cos they know that this is a wonderfull and fantastic thing that's happening for me...

there

(I hope that last question wasn't supposed to be rhetorical)
:)

9:14 AM  
Blogger Alex Mills said...

He he.. Actually it was, but nobody needs to know. I think it's always going to be scary on your own just after a long, serious relationship. It's at times like that the inclination to find someone else is strongest.

I went through a phase of jumping from ship to ship when I was younger, which in retrospect was almost entirely because I was afraid of being alone.

It's not one of my prouder moments, I must say. :p How long were you with your previous boyfriend?

11:01 AM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

3 YEARS (and a little bit over)
We lived together for almost that whole time. We'd only been going out for like a month and a half when we moved in... yes... I know... scary shit.

oh dear. I suppose it's a touchy subject at the moment for me - any opportunity I'll start spouting off.

You have a girlfriend though don't you? So where is all this stemming from for you?

11:21 AM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

where is Belarus??

11:22 AM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

you're a veritable fountain of usefull/less knowledge...

I would have thought cool climates would see a decrease in divorce: means people need to cuddle/huddle more for body warmth, and that's easier if you have a respective-other. ?

12:35 PM  
Blogger Alex Mills said...

If I didn't know any better, I'd say the Belarus Tourism Bureau has gotten to someone. Though I would've thought the colder climate would encourage people to stay together.. Sound logic, no?

E: 3 years is a damn long time, especially at our age. I can only imagine how hard it must be readjusting to being single.. I found it hard enough after a year!

I do have a girlfriend, been with her for around 6 months. I was going to put a disclaimer at the bottom of the post, but figured I'd rambled on for long enough anyway. It was more directed at people I know, as opposed to my current situation. Young Surly is a prime example.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Alex Mills said...

It's frightening how similar our logic is.

12:49 PM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

actually I'm not having a hard time of it (yet) at all...
see - we're still living together *waiting for the shouts of protestation from the likes of Young Surly*, sharing the same room *winces*, sharing the same bed *flinches*... it's only been a month...
but you see - I've been out more, had more fun, had more sex (whith said ex) than I have had in all the months of this year combined... well - perhaps that's a slight exageration - but I've gotta say - I'm having a DAMN GOOD TIME
It will however have to come to an end eventually and I will truely be alone... I'm not looking forward to that bit...

2:13 PM  
Blogger Alex Mills said...

Call me crazy, but that doesn't exactly sound like a break-up.. What has changed since you ended it?

5:07 PM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

erm.... nothing really....

LOOK I'm LOOKING for a place to move out into OK?!?!??!!

I've gone out alot more since we 'broke up'...???
We feel awkward around each other sometimes...???

admittedly we still snuggle/cuddle....

we eat seperate meals: that's a biggy...

um...

LOOK! what's that over there? *points and runs away*

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ears can't hear what eyes don't see.

2:31 PM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

no, seriously - look behind you right NOW
(hehehe did I make you look?)
come on, you know you want to, just... in... case...

3:20 PM  
Blogger Alex Mills said...

Thanks for the tip! Another Greenpeace activist successfully avoided..

7:56 PM  
Blogger Alex Mills said...

I don't think it's necissarily about loving yourself, but you have to be comfortable with yourself and be happy with where you're at. The second the 'I wish I was with someone' thought slips in, your perception of encounters with others changes.

I agree with you on the pseudo-break up front though.. I could quite easily use some kind of band-aid removal metaphor here. But I won't.

11:12 PM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

if I had somewhere to go - I would, trust me.

"you can love your pet, just don't love your pet"
--the truth about cats and dogs

10:03 AM  
Blogger gun street girl said...

Ekky:Been there, the still living witht them bit, just be thankful you don't live with his family also and fat middle-aged mother who is trying to turn you into a replica of herself so you can take care of her little boy just like she does...

10:55 AM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

ew

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slesh: Are you seriously suggesting that this girl may not have had the oppurtunity to be alone? I'm sorry, I find that idea ridiculous. It seems to me that you're not actually thinking about what you're typing here. The only thing you'll ever achieve with comments like that is to perpetuate the same old bullshit ideas, values and morals (or lack thereof) that plague our generation.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home