Thursday, September 08, 2005

I had the distinct pleasure of attending an old friend's 21st a couple of nights back. In addition to the traditional shaking of one's booty and copious amounts of Victoria Bitter, I had to endure several hours of "Hey! Oh my God! I haven't seen you in ages! Like, how've you been? What are you doing with yourself these days?" After the fifth or sixth encounter, I really felt like just making stuff up. "Well, I actually just found this treasure map.. I've already got a parrot, and I'm going to the doctor for the eye surgery tomorrow."

By far the most irritating aspect of these conversations is the pressure I feel to match the other person's level of excitement. It's not like I don't try though.. I get my eyebrows up really high and start flailing my limbs about like a girl at a Hanson concert circa 1997, only to find that after the initial embrace or hearty handshake, you have two people standing awkwardly, looking around going "So... Umm.m.. Have you seen.. Steve.. Lately?" It wouldn't bother me so much, but most of the time these are people you haven't seen in several years, and weren't even that close to in the first place.

There are the odd moments of interest, like when you discover the devout Christian from year 12 got married at nineteen and is currently pregnant.. Or perhaps the girl who had the reputation of being a tad, err, promiscuous now has a two year old son. Of course, we all know this because she actually brought the kid to the party. There's nothing greater than having a jive, drinking some beer, and trying to detach a young child from your leg.. I shouldn't be too harsh though, they did come all the way from Seaford.

My favourite part of the evening is always the end of the night, when the obligatory "We should catch up soon!" rears its drunken head. Phones come out, numbers are taken down, and nobody has any intention of following through. My greatest memory of such an encounter was at a party sometime last year.. Half way through exchanging numbers I realized I had no idea what the person's name was. This left me with two options:

A) Give the mystery person my phone and make up some story about how the buttons are really small and I only just got it and don't know what I'm doing and technology frightens me so could you just put it in yourself? Or,

B) Acknowledging that I'll probably never have the desire to actually call the person, and putting in a fake name.. Say, Sausages, for example.

You guessed it, B all the way.

In the wash up, it wasn't exactly the worst party EVER, but there are certain things at a 21st you can just live without. Not the Grease Megamix though.. Without that, it's just a gathering.

11 Comments:

Blogger ekstasis said...

I also have a christian friend from high school that got married (not sure about the baby part) and a friend who was, er, promiscuous who had a baby that would probably be about 2 now... wierd... either there are one of these people at every high school, or maybe we used to float in the same circles??
strange...

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There should always be at least one pirate at any party... you've done well.

Remember: it's not a party without the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack AND the Grease Megamix.

2:22 PM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

shit that means I've never really had a party... must work on that, prono.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Alex Mills said...

E: It's funny you should mention that, as I nearly went on a diatribe about how every school most likely has these characters. Where abouts was yours?

G: Unfortunately there was no Rocky Horror.. I suspect even the Time Warp may have been a little obscure for this crowd.

But you're right about the pirates.. I hear the wooden leg is going to be big this Summer.

2:42 PM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

I'm from upwey... I'm sure gun would have told me if you were someone we knew....
nicola
that's all I'll say.....

4:09 PM  
Blogger Alex Mills said...

Oh no, I'm from the illustrious Huntingdale.. And from memory my girl's name was Erin. Interestingly enough, she had a twin called Brooke who always copied her behaviour, right through school. The last I heard, she too had fallen pregnant..

5:07 PM  
Blogger gun street girl said...

eeew, Nichola... I'll never forget they time the neo fascist she dated told someone he liked to call her "Ni-mole-a"
acurate and whimsical...

6:38 PM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

huh? who was her 'neo fascist' boe? It wasn't steven was it? cos he only went out with her cos I turned him down and he was trying to make me jealous

11:22 PM  
Blogger Alex Mills said...

Sounds like a good thing those two had going.. Would he actually call her that to her face?

I'm pretty sure Erin's boy freaked when he found out, and drove all the way back to Frankston.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. Wooden legs are sooo 1674. This summer's all about fibreglass prosthetics with hydraulics and a sub woofer.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Alex Mills said...

That could be a sensational premise for the next Nick Giannopolous movie. 'Oh my God you stooge! Did you see the patch I just dropped off the cape of St. Chapel? Check out my subbie..'

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home